Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The importance of knowing your target customers!!!

Yet another attempt at understanding why certain events occur from a marketing standpoint.

We had this prof KK who taught us this awesome subject "Macroeconomics". He was recently voted the best professor of the year(second year in a row!). His background: Bachelors and Masters in computer science and Phd in economics. His teaching stlye was unconventional and he did generate a lot of interest. But as some people already pointed, he is not neccesarily the best in his field...then why is he so successful at ISB??

Well this is my take on it:

  • The majority of the crowd at ISB are engineers and the course was taught as an engineer would appreciate, with graphs, equations and theories.....not like a typical economist would teach it.
  • Brief, concise and to the point: tailored to the time constrained crowd at ISB
  • Subject matter very relavent to practical realities and it makes an attempt at clarifying real life occurances through frameworks, formulae and videos...tailored for an engineer by an engineer
  • The professor projected a highly differentiated and extreme point of view on the subject, which the ISB students related very well to

See here, KK did most things right: Designed the service as per the requirements of the ISB students, delivered it very effectively and created a unique positioning through extreme differentiation....and above all he added percieved value to the student body as a whole.

I do not want to detract from KK's achievements, but I just think he is an excellent marketeer and a good professor...thats all.

If I was this good at tailoring my resume to the recruiters requirements, I would have been inundated with shortlists by now.... I guess I have a looooong way to go :)

The placement season is getting hectic and the job postings are pouring in...but like any good MBA I have hedged my portfolio evenly across roles, industries and functions. Hopefully this will at least yield me the average returns promised by the portfolio theory for I have given given up the strategy of focussed investment in a single area (read as marketing).

I guess Iam more risk averse than I think Iam....May the force be with me during the next two weeks ( This is where you step in and say that everything will be OK :) )

Ok...tata for now and more later and definitely more regularly.

P.S: I voted for KK too!!

No comments: